24.1.11

In which our hero rants (again) this time about about song lyrics...

I don't know about you but for a me a song is more about the lyrics than the tune. I'd say 70% lyrics to 30% music maybe. The lyrics need not be cheerful, or even 'nice' but I like them to make sense and be reasonable. I love the song by Eminem about a horrible subject, a song of domestic abuse of both parties caught in a hideous cycle of harm, of a man lying to himself, knowing he can't stop and woman caught up with confusion as to what is pain and what is love, the subject is horrible but the lyrics and the entire song are beautiful, so tragic. My favourite song of all time is 'If you go away' and I prefer the Marc Almond version, I love the song of loss and of love, a song that realises that sometimes people leave and if they do then you will be sad....

But a song of late, that is getting right up my nose, is the current UK number 1 (good grief!) by Bruno Mars. He just doesn't get it does he? He sounds like a stalker in this song! he sounds like a freak, a weirdo a truly scary person to know, and I don't care how catchy the tune is, the lyrics frankly scare me! Let's analyse them a bit.

Easy come, easy go
That's just how you live, oh
> OK her choice I guess, a fairly laid back young lady.
Take, take, take it all,
But you never give
Should of known you was trouble from the first kiss,
> OK so you knew she wasn't for you from the 1st but you gave it a bash anyway
Why were they open?
Gave you all I had
And you tossed it in the trash
You tossed it in the trash, you did
To give me all your love is all I ever asked,
> well you can ask to be loved but you know you can't force someone to love you, she obviously thought you were fun and that was all.
Cause what you don't understand is
> and here we get weird
I’d catch a grenade for ya (yeah, yeah, yeah)
>ignoring your blatant use of 'ya' when you mean 'you' (I'd dump you for that alone) you sound a tad odd, where would you see us, and in what situation that you'd need to catch a grenade? are you taking me to Afghanistan?
Throw my hand on a blade for ya (yeah, yeah, yeah)
> self harming is not big or clever, what is the point of this weird offer?
I’d jump in front of a train for ya (yeah, yeah , yeah)
> inconvenience hundreds of commuters for ya
You know I'd do anything for ya (yeah, yeah, yeah)
. except take 'I don't want to go out with you any more' as a clear indication of my feelings it seems
Oh, oh
I would go through all this pain,
. that you are creating! no one else, just you you idiot!
Take a bullet straight through my brain,
> in the light of what recently happened in the US this is just crass and bad taste
Yes, I would die for ya baby;
> by this part of the song I'm actually wishing you would, maybe it would shut you up!
But you won't do the same
> no because she's got some sense! She doesn't want to go out with you - move on!

No, no, no, no
Black, black, black and blue beat me till I'm numb
> don't tempt me
Tell the devil I said “hey” when you get back to where you're from
Mad woman, bad woman,
That's just what you are, yeah,
You’ll smile in my face then rip the brakes out my car
. give her some credit she is trying to rid herself of this obsessive stalker..
Gave you all I had
And you tossed it in the trash

(chorus - I won't make you suffer it again)

If my body was on fire, ooh
You’ d watch me burn down in flames
> while dancing and singing and rejoicing that she no longer needs the restraining order
You said you loved me you're a liar
. no she just realised what a freak you actually were
Cause you never, ever, ever did baby...
(whining til fade)

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous24/1/11

    Love that! my colleague had just commented on the lyrics herself do read harbour blog. Brilliant! I'm doing this as anon ad i don't have any of tnx other accounts but this is @diggle30 from Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bloke's a creep anyway - 'Just the way you are' is supposed to be sweet, but it's actually quite creepy and sinister.
    He'd kiss her NAILS.
    Weirdo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just brilliant!
    I've never seen what Bruno looks like, but I can just imagine him as a squeaky Bieber-esque little man, and surely those lyrics just reinforce that?
    *goes off to google*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant stuff! The amount of people who have tweeted about 'ya' is insane!

    But I've never listened to the lyrics, never got that far into the song, as it sounds like a pile of pants regardless of lyrics or what-not!

    Bruno, you stay well away from us ladeez!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous25/1/11

    Ooh, one to avoid! Very creepy indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ROFL that was very entertaining. I like Bruno Mars. I didn't want to, but he was talking on the radio the other day and...well...yes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11/2/11

    Bwah ha ha ha ha!

    Hello by the way :)

    Um, I saw yesterday on Facebook that my 11 year old stepson sent these lyrics to a girl he fancies. I'm guessing his father and I should be concerned. Still, the girl in question threatened to dropkick stepson if he didn't stop sending her Bruno Mars lyrics, so I guess she at least can take care of herself!

    Thanks for cracking this face of stone. LOL I did!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was ranting about this exact song to my partner abotu a week a go. About how stupid it is to "Throw my hand on a blade for ya." It's not even "I'd stop a sword that was trying to behead ya"
    Just sounds like Look how much I love you! I'm going to cut my hand open to prove it!

    Although... It IS slightly better than that stupid I whip my hair song!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment, all comments are moderated, no links will be approved

Popular posts