5.6.14

Reading for Pleasure - Fahrenheit 451

I read Fahrenheit 451 (by Ray Bradbury) last week. I bought it after thinking about classic books I hadn't read, and as it was science fiction it was one of the most appealing of my mental 'classics list'.

I didn't know what I would find, wasn't sure what to expect, like many others (I suspect) I am put off reading any book that is rated a 'classic' as the word 'classic' automatically defaults to 'wordy and extremely boring' in my brain like a sort of literary autocorrect.

I read 1984 at school (in 1984 - I suppose the Exam boards just couldn't resist it) and loved it so I'm not sure why I'm so easily put off, I blame Thomas Hardy.

But I love science fiction, and I love the older style, I'm a big fan of Philip K Dick, Asimov and Philip Jose Farmer. So I started reading...

The novel presents a future American society where books are outlawed and "firemen" burn any that are found. The book is not boring, it is well written at at the beginning the pace is so fast I almost didn't notice the writing style at all! So caught up as I was in what was happening. As the pace slowed toward the middle though I began to notice the beautiful poetry of the writing, going so far as to read a paragraph to my family (several times, until they agreed it was beautiful!)

 “He could feel the Hound, like autumn, come cold and dry and swift, like a wind that didn’t stir grass, that didn’t jar windows or disturb leaf shadows on the white sidewalks as it passed.”

I was less happy with the ending of the book. It felt rushed and unsatisfying, but I might read it again in case I missed things. Over all I enjoyed the book and the theme. I bought a paper copy of the book as reading it on an E-reader seemed blasphemous considering the subject matter. I encourage you to read it if you have the chance. And encourage your teens to read it too - it will make for some interesting discussions.

Wikipedia Link to the book - warning may contain spoilers

MamaMummyMum

Written for MamaMummyMum's Read With Me Linky

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about the word "classic" this book has been on my TBR list for quite a while so you've just given me the shove to finally read it!! thanks for linking up with #ReadWithMe have tweeted and pinned your post :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds lovely. Never really read a book like it before though. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this book should be on my list too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment, all comments are moderated, no links will be approved

Popular posts