4.6.13

Story of Mum Exhibition


BritMums - Leading the Conversation
As mothers, it's not often that we feel seen, heard and valued. Yet our everyday stories matter, and sharing them can inspire others.

Story of Mum: Mums making an exhibition of ourselves is a touring programme of exhibitions and events in galleries and online that aims to put mothers in the spotlight.

The exhibition celebrates motherhood, explores the impact of mothering on our identities, and encourages mums worldwide to share their stories in words, photos, collage and film.


Find out more at www.storyofmum.com/exhibition.

Parallel to the real life events, a virtual exhibition is travelling round the world, stopping for mini exhibitions on blogs - like this one!

Participants are asked to choose an item or two from the existing exhibition, create something to add to the exhibition, and share their thoughts on these and their identity in motherhood.

So, welcome to the Story of Mum travelling exhibition. Come in, make yourself comfy, browse the exhibits.

There is cake of course, and art, writing, general mummy silliness.



So, let us begin....

I CURATED THIS:

You may like (and will probably identify with) GeorgiaP who is a mum and a ...


I chose her picture because of the fun it conveys, the joy of being a mum and of course a love of drinking. I too am a giggly drunk, though the longer I'm a mum and the older I get the more likely I am to be a sleepy drunk.

I CURATED THIS:

or maybe poetry is your thing? We mums have been writing some lines to create a poem, both beautiful and true, about motherhood.


Care giver
late night tweeter
story reader

Sleepless survivor
food provider
tear wiper

Fierce protector
rule maker
cheek kisser 

Woman


I loved adding to the poem, it's a beautiful moving pattern of words that flow and mix to show the multifaceted life of a mother.

I CREATED THIS:

I've even made an identity parade (as did many other mums) so you can see more about what I get up to




I'm often tweeting, working (though happier camping!), often grumping (usually due to lack of sleep)

I have always wanted to be a mum, I didn't think I ever would be and then when I was the grand old age of 34 there was DD. Perfect in every way and despite my moans and grumbles, despite the lack of sleep, I wouldn't change a thing. She is a teen now and she is still my perfect baby. I adore being a mum. The sleepless nights, the breastfeeding, the toddler years, the growing up and seeing her off to school, and now the challenging teens... Talking to other mums online, sharing the highs and lows is fun too. Story of Mum helps that happen.

story of mum exhibition

3 comments:

  1. I love this - especially your interpretation of the motherhood poem. Thank you so much for being our very first virtual exhibition stop off - a well deserved honour for a funny clever insightful mama who we love very much at story of mum.

    I can also vouch for the giggly drunk, having been drunk with her myself on rare 'baby club' nights out that end with singing 'Delilah' loudly with a full pub-load of stir-crazy mamas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She (and you) sound like my kind of mum!!! I adore poetry and there are some lovely little 'snippets' on there to make some lovely shorter poems and haiku ;-)

      Delete
  2. Lovely poem, reminds me of the best bits of being a Mum.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment, all comments are moderated, no links will be approved

Popular posts